Is Frank the host of wikipedia or merely a control freak in DRAG? was Re: wikipedia vandalism

Niels Elgaard Larsen elgaard at agol.dk
Tue Jan 25 08:14:11 UTC 2005

Matej Kovacic wrote:

> So what to do? Let's use anonymity tools, but you will be banned from the
>
>majority of sites (external exclusion), OR build in Tor deanonimization
>features for some sites (internal exclusion, voluntary subordination) - and
>this list will be just growing (first wikipedia, then banks, then stores,
>etc...).
>
>I do not agree with that, I don't like that, but since I am a sociologist,
>this is my professional observation of the problem.

There is still plenty of room for technical solutions.
Some kind of virtual identity plus slashdot style karma.

For wikipedia tor-users would start with karma=-1, only be allowed one
edit a day, and the edits would only be visible to logged in users (i.e.
not search engines), that choose to view TOR edits. After some positive
mod-points, the user would be promoted to a first class user.  There
could be conflicts in which case karma<0 edits would be discarted.

And it should be done in WikiMedia and similar software instead of every
wiki.