hidden services...

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Jan 4 01:39:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 02:02:01PM +0200, Giorgos Pallas wrote:
> The second question has to do with the hostname of the hidden services
> server. When is it changed? I noticed when I had to restart the tor
> server that the hostname had changed...

In theory it is never changed, assuming the directory you point to is
unchanged. For example, if you put it in /tmp/ then it may get erased
by a system utility, and then Tor would find that it's not there (and
recreate it) next time you run Tor.

You're not the first person to report this phenomenon though. Perhaps
we have a bug somewhere. Can anybody recreate this in a repeatable way?

Thanks,
--Roger