Tor 0.1.1.10-alpha is out

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Dec 11 07:29:03 UTC 2005

This is the tenth development snapshot for the 0.1.1.x series. We fix
more crash bugs, fix some anonymity-related problems, and provide major
performance speedups and use less memory than the previous alphas.

http://tor.eff.org/download.html

Changes in version 0.1.1.10-alpha - 2005-12-11
  o Correctness bugfixes on 0.1.0.x:
    - On Windows, build with a libevent patch from "I-M Weasel" to avoid
      corrupting the heap, losing FDs, or crashing when we need to resize
      the fd_sets. (This affects the Win32 binaries, not Tor's sources.)
    - Stop doing the complex voodoo overkill checking for insecure
      Diffie-Hellman keys. Just check if it's in [2,p-2] and be happy.
    - When we were closing connections, there was a rare case that
      stomped on memory, triggering seg faults and asserts.
    - We were neglecting to unlink marked circuits from soon-to-close OR
      connections, which caused some rare scribbling on freed memory.
    - When we're deciding whether a stream has enough circuits around
      that can handle it, count the freshly dirty ones and not the ones
      that are so dirty they won't be able to handle it.
    - Recover better from TCP connections to Tor servers that are
      broken but don't tell you (it happens!); and rotate TLS
      connections once a week.
    - When we're expiring old circuits, we had a logic error that caused
      us to close new rendezvous circuits rather than old ones.
    - Fix a scary-looking but apparently harmless bug where circuits
      would sometimes start out in state CIRCUIT_STATE_OR_WAIT at
      servers, and never switch to state CIRCUIT_STATE_OPEN.
    - When building with -static or on Solaris, we sometimes needed to
      build with -ldl.
    - Give a useful message when people run Tor as the wrong user,
      rather than telling them to start chowning random directories.
    - We were failing to inform the controller about new .onion streams.

  o Security bugfixes on 0.1.0.x:
    - Refuse server descriptors if the fingerprint line doesn't match
      the included identity key. Tor doesn't care, but other apps (and
      humans) might actually be trusting the fingerprint line.
    - We used to kill the circuit when we receive a relay command we
      don't recognize. Now we just drop it.
    - Start obeying our firewall options more rigorously:
      . If we can't get to a dirserver directly, try going via Tor.
      . Don't ever try to connect (as a client) to a place our
        firewall options forbid.
      . If we specify a proxy and also firewall options, obey the
        firewall options even when we're using the proxy: some proxies
        can only proxy to certain destinations.
    - Fix a bug found by Lasse Overlier: when we were making internal
      circuits (intended to be cannibalized later for rendezvous and
      introduction circuits), we were picking them so that they had
      useful exit nodes. There was no need for this, and it actually
      aids some statistical attacks.
    - Start treating internal circuits and exit circuits separately.
      It's important to keep them separate because internal circuits
      have their last hops picked like middle hops, rather than like
      exit hops. So exiting on them will break the user's expectations.

  o Bugfixes on 0.1.1.x:
    - Take out the mis-feature where we tried to detect IP address
      flapping for people with DynDNS, and chose not to upload a new
      server descriptor sometimes.
    - Try to be compatible with OpenSSL 0.9.6 again.
    - Log fix: when the controller is logging about .onion addresses,
      sometimes it didn't include the ".onion" part of the address.
    - Don't try to modify options->DirServers internally -- if the
      user didn't specify any, just add the default ones directly to
      the trusted dirserver list. This fixes a bug where people running
      controllers would use SETCONF on some totally unrelated config
      option, and Tor would start yelling at them about changing their
      DirServer lines.
    - Let the controller's redirectstream command specify a port, in
      case the controller wants to change that too.
    - When we requested a pile of server descriptors, we sometimes
      accidentally launched a duplicate request for the first one.
    - Bugfix for trackhostexits: write down the fingerprint of the
      chosen exit, not its nickname, because the chosen exit might not
      be verified.
    - When parsing foo.exit, if foo is unknown, and we are leaving
      circuits unattached, set the chosen_exit field and leave the
      address empty. This matters because controllers got confused
      otherwise.
    - Directory authorities no longer try to download server
      descriptors that they know they will reject.

  o Features and updates:
    - Replace balanced trees with hash tables: this should make stuff
      significantly faster.
    - Resume using the AES counter-mode implementation that we ship,
      rather than OpenSSL's. Ours is significantly faster.
    - Many other CPU and memory improvements.
    - Add a new config option FastFirstHopPK (on by default) so clients
      do a trivial crypto handshake for their first hop, since TLS has
      already taken care of confidentiality and authentication.
    - Add a new config option TestSocks so people can see if their
      applications are using socks4, socks4a, socks5-with-ip, or
      socks5-with-hostname. This way they don't have to keep mucking
      with tcpdump and wondering if something got cached somewhere.
    - Warn when listening on a public address for socks. I suspect a
      lot of people are setting themselves up as open socks proxies,
      and they have no idea that jerks on the Internet are using them,
      since they simply proxy the traffic into the Tor network.
    - Add "private:*" as an alias in configuration for policies. Now
      you can simplify your exit policy rather than needing to list
      every single internal or nonroutable network space.
    - Add a new controller event type that allows controllers to get
      all server descriptors that were uploaded to a router in its role
      as authoritative dirserver.
    - Start shipping socks-extensions.txt, tor-doc-unix.html,
      tor-doc-server.html, and stylesheet.css in the tarball.
    - Stop shipping tor-doc.html in the tarball.