recent tor stream timeout errors...

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Dec 22 14:16:36 UTC 2005

Thanks for a demo of a typical P2P user mindset.
Tragedy of the commons all over again.

John, I personally don't care about your copyright abuse, as long
the local legislation doesn't make me personally liable. So far,
it doesn't.

Tor is research. A work in progress. Due to nature of traffic remixing
traffic gets amplified several times (someone here suggested a
multiplication factor of six). Current Tor runs on resources donated by
volunteers. In absence of P2P traffic, it would be quite useful
for browsing which is hard to track and blog. Think people
in religious and secular dictatures (U.S. is slowly getting there)
censoring and tracking users to lock them up.

By using P2P, you're harming those users. If the network becomes
abused, the volunteers stop running nodes, and you P2P folks will
have to roll your own anonymizing layer.