Data retention in Europe

Izzy atorima at vfemail.net
Fri Dec 16 19:36:24 UTC 2005

 "Terrorism, Piracy, 'Kiddie pRon,  etc. are of course, just an excuse
or, justifications for massive "data retention" laws, the "Patriot Act",
etc.

The real motive is the establishment of the "Global Panopticon" and it's
acceptance by the masses it will control. "It's for your own good" , To
protect you from the evil 'Terrorists', "Goldstein", or "To make your
consumer experience better", etc.

The possible uses of such information are almost limitless.

Marketing information based on your..google searchs..consumer
habits..the people you know and the social class you belong to..etc.

Thinking about this- I was promoted to re-visit MIT's Media Lab project-

-Reality Mining-

"Machine Perception and Learning of Complex Social Systems"

http://reality.media.mit.edu/

"Reality Mining defines the collection of machine-sensed environmental
data pertaining to human social behavior. This new paradigm of data
mining makes possible the modeling of conversation context, proximity
sensing, and temporospatial location throughout large communities of
individuals. Mobile phones (and similarly innocuous devices) are used
for data collection, opening social network analysis to new methods of
empirical stochastic modeling."

"Such rich data on complex social systems have implications for a
variety of fields. The research questions we are addressing include:

    * How do social networks evolve over time?
    * How entropic (predictable) are most people's lives?
    * How does information flow?
    * Can the topology of a social network be inferred from only
proximity data?
    * How can we change a group's interactions to promote better
functioning?"

The separation between 'Industry, Academia, and the Global Security
State is well, pretty much, none-existent.

Consider- the MIT 'Media Lab' is headed by  Nicholas Negroponte whose
brother is John Negroponte..The U.S. Director of National Intelligence.

"The Brothers Negroponte" Sounds like a novel, I read, once!

Makes you wonder about those $100 hand-cranked laptops Nicholas N. has
been pushing for the kids of 'poor' countrys - who can't even service
the interest on their debt- but, I digress..

>>>what Tor is for - defeating _traffic_ analysis.

Yes, but...The use of Tor, or something along the lines- could simply be
outlawed- making it a crime to use, or a 'national security letter', or
similar 'instrument' could be used to implement a 'back door' or, the
possibility exists -considering the origins of 'Onion' routing- that we
are all just "Media Lab Rats" being observed by the "Global Adversary"
to better develop 'predictive behavior modeling', or something.

 On the other hand -it may have occurred to the 'Ruling Elite' and their
servants - that they themselves would, or could be caught in a trap of
their own making and therefore a mechanism that would allow a certain
amount of "unobserved", or "unregulated" traffic flow was necessary.
Otherwise, an individual or group, with insider accesss to the system
could, "Well and Truly, Fuck Them" Which is a pleasant thought! and I'll
leave it there for now.

Have a Nice Day! ;)

-Izzy