Google 403 error pages

Matthias Fischmann fis at wiwi.hu-berlin.de
Thu Dec 15 08:00:39 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 07:55:09PM +0000, mary wrote:
> To: or-talk at freehaven.net
> From: mary <malum at freeshell.org>
> Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:55:09 +0000 (UTC)
> Subject: Re: Google 403 error pages
>
> >the easiest way to fix this would be for google to establish a
> >whitelist of machines that are unlikely to suffer from virusses (ie.,
> >a list of all google exit nodes and perhaps others), and not to send
> >warnings to those.  any reason why google should be refusing to
> >implement this?
>
> What would be the point of this?  All systems are subject to virus
> infection, root-kits, malware, et al..

well, the average windows box of a non-technical user is more likely
to be exploited than a tor server, right?  people who install tor
servers usually get their virus protection software sorted out.

of course this is just more heuristics, and some valid drawbacks have
been pointed out.  (i don't think it's more than a day's work for one
person to implement the whitelist on the google site, but i don't know
anything about the site except that it's huge and complex and it has a
grotesquely heavy load.)

in the end, it just bit us again that people are confusing IP
addresses and identity, and we won't solve that problem in this
special case all of a sudden.

m.