Google geolocation

Matt Thorne mlthorne at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 23:59:43 UTC 2005

OK... I am a big one for admitting when I was wrong.
I was wrong.
The Hosts file, while a good Idea, will not help with the tor -> google
issue. Google will serve up whichever version of google you need based on
your IP from any of their servers that you request it from.
 test
 a ping of www.google.com <http://www.google.com> with an unmodified hosts
file reveals the IP:64.233.161.147 <http://64.233.161.147>
a ping of www.google.ie <http://www.google.ie> (Ireland) shows the IP:
64.233.187.99 <http://64.233.187.99>
 so I changed the hosts file with the line
 64.233.161.147 <http://64.233.161.147> www.google.ie <http://www.google.ie>

I flushed the DNS thru ipconfig and then surfed to
www.google.ie<http://www.google.ie>and was given the google ireland
page. this was strange so I ping'd
www.google.ie <http://www.google.ie> and was shown the new IP. so my
computer is going to the English Google's IP address and retrieving
www.google.ie <http://www.google.ie>. I figure that they are just smart over
there at google and serve up which ever google you request no mater which
server you connect to.

I then realized that they are handling the web page change on their end of
the connection (@google) so changing the IP address of
www.google.ie<http://www.google.ie>on my end wouldn't help. I admit
defeat.

On the other hand I now have a much better handle on the hosts file and the
DNS service in windows.
I now have to endorse www.google.com/ncr <http://www.google.com/ncr> as
probably the only solution to this problem.

good luck to all

-=Matt=-