google search redirected to language/country of Tor exit node

OpenMacNews OpenMacNews at speakeasy.net
Tue Aug 30 16:38:17 UTC 2005

hi all,

i'm experiencing a bit of oddness with Google Search when using Tor ...

i'm using FireFox106 thru a Squid+Privoxy+Tor setup on OSX.

if i navigate to a site while Tor'd, and find that my exit point is, e.g. in
Poland, and then enter a search via the Google toolbar, my search results page
comes up as http://www.google.pl -- in Polish.

this behavior SEEMS to indepdendent of my google prefs ... set to English at
the moment.

is this an expected behavior, for any given exit point?  or some sort of
preference (Google? Squid? Tor?) setting that i haven't yet ferreted out?

thx,

richard