privoxy/firefox

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Aug 29 06:04:09 UTC 2005

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 10:40:53PM -0700, ADB wrote:
> FF does SOCKS 5 securely, so I don't see why you couldn't. The only
>
> >Other than not having cookies blocked, Is there anything to lose by
> >not having privoxy installed, and using firefox as its own sock5
> >proxy? Does this compromise security by dns headers?

Last I read the code, the way Firefox does socks5 is *not* secure from
Tor's perspective. It does the DNS resolve itself, then passes the IP
address to Tor via socks5.

Firefox 1.1 (not yet released, as far as I know) has an option to "do
dns remotely", which makes it safe. Adam Langley has a howto on this:
http://www.imperialviolet.org/deerpark.html

--Roger