tor w/ dansguardian & squid on remote box?

OpenMacNews OpenMacNews at speakeasy.net
Sat Aug 20 23:11:03 UTC 2005

hi Thomas/ADB,

thx 4 the replies! =)

-- On August 20, 2005 11:38:06 PM +0200  Thomas Sjögren
<thomas at northernsecurity.net> wrote:
> Have a look at http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/SquidProxy
> for a few good pointers.
> I haven't used DansGuardian but one possible setup is
>
> Client(s) -[ openvpn ]- Gateway
> 			--[ Squid - Privoxy - Tor]- Internet

this looks like a useful startup reference. thx!

at 1st glance, there always *seems* to be the presumption that Tor is running
locally ... dunno what the "gotchas" are if it isn't.

-- On August 20, 2005 3:05:56 PM -0700  ADB <firefox-gen at walala.org> wrote:
> The FAQ listed below is for your own client use only. As I have been warned
> before, Squid/filtering is NOT recommended for use if you're an exit node.
> This is for security and open access reasons. I had this same set-up going on
> (albiet not intentionally) and I got some flak for it.

what do you mean by "exit node"?  most likely it's a *specific* term used in
the Tor-world ...

do you mean a node accessible to the PUBLIC, rather than a box shared by my own
network?

do you have any more details abt that 'warning', perchance?

thx,

richard