Server Hacked

Peter Palfrader peter at palfrader.org
Fri Aug 19 23:24:43 UTC 2005

deb http://mirror.noreply.org/pub/tor sarge main

> I'm still sort of surprised that this group of what I thought was fairly
> skilled developers hasn't provided one link or suggestion on how best to
> 1) identify the vulnerability exploited on a hacked server or 2)
> identify the likely perpetrator of a defacement. Searching around I find
> lots about how to prevent hacks in the first place but very little
> that's helpful in dealing with it once it's happened.

Dealing once it's happened?  Reinstall, and don't run services that you
can't trust.  Anything PHP related, and phpbb are on the top of things
that I'ld blame, but you run so many things it's hard to tell and
crystall balls are hard to come by these days.

Nobody will be able to tell you what said cracker used with certainty
just from this single email.  Also, this is /not/ the OMG-I-got-0wned
mailinglist.

    messages preferred.    | : :' :      The  universal