Server Hacked

Edward Faulkner ef at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 19 13:04:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 12:29:24AM -0700, Brian C wrote:
> Also, the phpbb installation was not publicized. That is, that site
> isn't linked to from anywhere really because I wasn't ready for it to
> "go live". So, they didn't get there from Google.

Don't be so sure.  Google manages to find unlinked pages all the time.
I've had unpublished development pages show up in their cache within a
matter of days.  To stay hidden, you can create a robots.txt file that
tells Googlebot to ignore your development areas.

Of course, staying out of Google is not sufficient security by itself.