reconsidering default exit policy

Geoffrey Goodell goodell at cassandra.eecs.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 6 19:48:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 03:37:17PM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> I've heard from several Tor operators who are happy to run the default
> exit policy -- whatever it is. When I suggest that they configure their
> server to be more permissive than the default (e.g. accepting port 119),
> they say they'd be happy to, as soon as I make that the default.

This is quite clearly because making a particular policy the default
confers confidence, on the part of both EFF and the Tor developers.

We are the Tor node operators.  We must not lurk in shadows.  We must be
condfident that what we are doing is reasonable, proper, legal, and
above all the right thing to do.  It is this confidence, not a slowly
accruing army of users, that will win the minds of those who like to
believe that they control the control points.

Geoff