hidden wiki et al.

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Wed Apr 6 17:47:09 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 12:08:15PM -0400, Jonathan D. Proulx wrote:
> It seems hidden services are at the bottom of the development queue,
> which is fine by me, but I'm wondering what type of connectivity I
> should expect...

"If it works for you and you're happy with it, then great, else wait
several more months and try again" is the current state, and will probably
be the state for the forseeable future. :)

> I'm running TOR 0.0.9.7 from Debian unstable along with what ever
> prepackaged version of privox is shipping as of about 9am EDT today
> when I last dist-upgraded.

Put this in your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb     http://mirror.noreply.org/pub/tor experimental main

and you can get a deb for the latest Tor cvs (0.1.0.2-rc-cvs).
(It's for sid, and happens to work for sarge at the moment, but not
for woody.)

The 0.1.0.x code has significant robustness improvements for hidden
services. So I suggest you try it instead of 0.0.9.x.

You might also try a different hidden service, e.g.
http://duskgytldkxiuqc6.onion/

> I hadn't looked much at hidden services before though I seem to recall
> connecting to be slow but more stable.

It varies a lot, depending on how hosed that particular service is, and
how hosed the network is.

Hope that helps,
--Roger