Tor 0.1.0.2-rc is out

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Fri Apr 1 17:24:46 UTC 2005

This is the second release candidate for the 0.1.0.x series. It makes
reachability detection work better. (A lot of people upgraded their
servers, but the servers thought they were unreachable so didn't publish
their descriptors -- oops.)

Please report any bugs, either in the installers or in Tor operation, so
we can get it perfect for an actual release: http://bugs.noreply.org/tor

http://tor.eff.org/download.html

  o Bugfixes on 0.1.0.1-rc:
    - Fixes on reachability detection:
      - Don't check for reachability while hibernating.
      - If ORPort is reachable but DirPort isn't, still publish the
        descriptor, but zero out DirPort until it's found reachable.
      - When building testing circs for ORPort testing, use only
        high-bandwidth nodes, so fewer circuits fail.
      - Complain about unreachable ORPort separately from unreachable
        DirPort, so the user knows what's going on.
      - Make sure we only conclude ORPort reachability if we didn't
        initiate the conn. Otherwise we could falsely conclude that
        we're reachable just because we connected to the guy earlier
        and he used that same pipe to extend to us.
      - Authdirservers shouldn't do ORPort reachability detection,
        since they're in clique mode, so it will be rare to find a
        server not already connected to them.
      - When building testing circuits, always pick middle hops running
        Tor 0.0.9.7, so we avoid the "can't extend to unknown routers"
        bug. (This is a kludge; it will go away when 0.0.9.x becomes
        obsolete.)
      - When we decide we're reachable, actually publish our descriptor
        right then.
    - Fix bug in redirectstream in the controller.
    - Fix the state descriptor strings so logs don't claim edge streams
      are in a different state than they actually are.
    - Use recent libevent features when possible (this only really affects
      win32 and osx right now, because the new libevent with these
      features hasn't been released yet). Add code to suppress spurious
      libevent log msgs.
    - Prevent possible segfault in connection_close_unattached_ap().
    - Fix newlines on torrc in win32.
    - Improve error msgs when tor-resolve fails.

  o Improvements on 0.0.9.x:
    - New experimental script tor/contrib/ExerciseServer.py (needs more
      work) that uses the controller interface to build circuits and
      fetch pages over them. This will help us bootstrap servers that
      have lots of capacity but haven't noticed it yet.
    - New experimental script tor/contrib/PathDemo.py (needs more work)
      that uses the controller interface to let you choose whole paths
      via addresses like
      "<hostname>.<path,separated by dots>.<length of path>.path"
    - When we've connected to an OR and handshaked but didn't like
      the result, we were closing the conn without sending destroy
      cells back for pending circuits. Now send those destroys.