Tragedy of the Commons - was Re: (FWD) Re: BitTorrent - can it be blocked?

tor tor at algae-world.com
Wed Dec 8 13:18:44 UTC 2004

Hi Roger,
     Welcome to the "Tragedy of the Commons", the issue that mojo-nation
was designed to solve
although it has other issues and is not designed for the same target
that tor is trying to hit.
blocking BT from the tor network , or better yet traffic shaping
(possibly via trickle-like mechanisms),
could provide temporary mitagation ,especially if per protocol
accounting could be introduced on the exit nodes to throttle same,
as a user who was thinking about running several tor routers in the very
near future,  I am quite concerned about DMCA takedown notices
especially on any US domestic TOR nodes.
 I however was thinking about routing BT Traffic via TOR myself and have
noticed that BT(at least the clients I have played with suffer from the
bandwidth hog syndrome).
Additionally running an Active BT client on the same host a TOR client
or router is running on executes a DOS on the tor usage.
I dont see BT over TOR as an issue if traffic shaping is imposed, and it
could have to be dynamic-modifically to account for the usage of
non-standard ports, or ANY port which starts sucking bandwidth.

    a tor user