how to autostart tor on osx?

Anthony K. ak at freehaven.spes.ca
Sun Dec 5 07:56:57 UTC 2004

I spent hours on this, several months ago. I never got it to work. Which
seemed impossible, really. Like you, I even tried adding a line to the
Privoxy script in StartupItems....and Privoxy would start, but Tor would
not. I tried running it from a StartupItems script alone on a single
line; then mixing with other scripts, then with/out sudo, and then both
with/out setuid/gid...I forget what all.

Nothing. Nada.

I intend to try again, but for now, I just go to the 'Accounts'
PreferencePane and point directly at the bare 'tor' binary -- by default
'/usr/local/bin/tor'. It leaves an ugly TERM window open, but it works,
every time. (At one time I made a wrapper script, and pointed at that.
But there is nothing I need which can't be done in the default
'/usr/local/etc/tor/torrc' config file. YMMV.)

Other problems were placement of 'torrc' and the logfiles....but those
are just *nix permissions problems, and can be fixed/setup any way you
prefer.

Looking at the website, I see interest also in a OSX package of
MixMinion. I guess I could try doing both, if there were interest?
Assuming that this approach is possible -- and it (almost) must be.
(Right? <LOL!>)

Anthony

PS: Do we get copies of our own "sends"? This is my second attempt.