tor client over HTTP or SSH port forwarding ?

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Wed Aug 25 00:02:10 UTC 2004

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 06:08:07AM -0700, George Jones wrote:
> I caught the talk @ USENIX.  Excellent !.

Thanks!

> The question I had (which I thought would be a FAQ) is how do set uo
> a tor client behind a firewall that does not allow ports :90?? out ?

There will be an easy solution with Tor 0.0.8, which should be out
today or tomorrow (assuming we find no more bugs in 0.0.8rx2).
Assuming your firewall allows port 443 (HTTPS) and port 80 (HTTP), you
can just add "FascistFirewall 1" to your torrc file, and Tor will only
use servers that are listening on ports 443 and 80.

Just one problem, though: Currently, I don't think there are any
servers configured like that.  With any luck (and, hopefully, a good
port forwarding FAQ), there should be a few such 'firewall-friendly'
servers ready in the next couple of weeks.

HTH,
--
Nick Mathewson
(PGP key changed on 15Aug2004; see http://wangafu.net/key.txt)