(FWD) Compiling Tor on Windows?

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Thu Aug 19 17:26:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 08:02:49PM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from owner-or-talk at freehaven.net -----
>
> Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:58:22 +0200
> From: Christian Siefkes <siefkes at mi.fu-berlin.de>
> To: or-talk <or-talk at seul.org>
> Subject: Compiling Tor on Windows?
>
> Hello,
>
> I've tried to compile the current tor-0.0.8pre3 on Windows (XP home). Since
> I couldn't find any Win-specific information, I tried to use Cygwin.

Okay, this turns out to be a piece of weirdness in cygwin's autoconf.
I don't know what caused it, but I've committed a workaround to CVS,
so the next release should build on cygwin just fine.

If you want to build on cygwin in the meantime, you can either get the
latest snapshot from CVS (instructions are on the main Tor page), or
make a one-line change to the file "util.h".  Change the 29th line
from:
#ifndef HAVE_STRUCT_TIMEVAL_TV_SEC
to:
#if !defined(HAVE_GETTIMEOFDAY) && !defined(HAVE_STRUCT_TIMEVAL_TV_SEC)

> ./configure works fine and reports that it finds everything it needs, but
> make writes the following to standard error:
>
> In file included from log.c:16:
> util.h:30: error: redefinition of `struct timeval'
> make[3]: *** [log.o] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
>
> Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? How can I get it compile? Or is there a
> precompiled current binary for Windows that I could use?

There's a precompiled 0.0.8rc1 binary available from

  http://freehaven.net/tor/dist/

You'll need to install OpenSSL first; there are instructions on the
website.

> (I now installed the tor-007.exe binary from the TOR website, but I suppose
> that I should probably better use a newer version; also that old version
> crashes when I click on "The hidden wiki" link in the Onion Router Wiki
> <http://wiki.noreply.org/wiki/TheOnionRouter>.)

This one should work better, we hope. :) Please let us know if it
doesn't.

Many thanks for your patience,
--
Nick Mathewson