[tor-scaling] Nov 20 meeting recap: metrics analysis needed

teor teor at riseup.net
Tue Jan 21 21:51:08 UTC 2020

Hi,

In the caption on page 8, Karsten writes:
> And it reveals something interesting around the 50th percentile or
> 2 seconds mark. Whatever happens there shouldn't be happening.

Tor 0.2.9 does a lot of things on a 1-second timer, and I'm pretty sure
that some of them would delay circuit building. Since 0.2.9, we've moved
a lot of functions to "every event loop" (a few hundred milliseconds) or
"as needed". But 0.2.9 is only 10% of the network, so it shouldn't be
affecting 50% of the circuits, even if they are 3-hop circuits:
https://metrics.torproject.org/versions.html
(We should check consensus weight rather than relay count. But as far
as I remember, it's also around 10% for 0.2.9.)

Tor still does a few things on a 1 second timer, we should check if any of
those things delay circuit building. In particular, I think the
RelayBandwidthRate token buckets are still refilled every second.