[tor-scaling] Using the wiki page vs kanban vs mailinglist

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Thu May 9 20:27:58 UTC 2019

(Sorry for the delay, I had to task switch to Tor 0.4.1 freeze things;
also this should not get burried in the meeting notes thread).

Arthur Edelstein:
> During the meeting someone asked where we could add suggestions for
> additional experiments, but I wasn't sure if a conclusion was reached. Is
> that the Kanban link that Gaba posted? Or is there a different source of
> truth?

The canonical list of live-network experiments is at
http://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/roadmaps/CoreTor/PerformanceExperiments

Feel free to update that page with proposed experiments that are
possible to perform on the Tor network today, without updating any relay
code.

That is the list of experiments for the short-term goal of determining
the performance metrics that we need, and verifying that we have a
simulator that can reproduce results that affect those metrics. Aka
phase 0 of the plan.

There are many other stages to this plan. The steady-state end-goal is
to manage the progress of research tasks in various states of
completetion. This sort of thing will be done in the kanban. Because the
kanban has no revision history, it can only be written to by Gaba, Nick,
Roger, and myself. Ideas for other stages of the proccess should be
discussed on the list, and we'll update the kanban accordingly.

The kanban is meant to be useful for Tor Project, Inc to use for
research coordination, funding proposals, and internal resource
allocation. It is not meant to be a community-driven document, or even
one that is ever updated by researchers or developers. Right now, I
think those updates (and suggestions) are best done informally on this
mailinglist, the tor-researchers mailinglist, and/or tor-dev.

--
Mike Perry