[tor-scaling] Meeting this Friday (June 28th, 16:00 UTC)

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Tue Jun 25 18:37:00 UTC 2019

Hi folks,

The next Tor Scaling meeting is at Friday 28th of June at 1600 UTC:
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20190628T160000&p1=1440&p2=179&p3=64&p4=37&p5=137&p6=152

Location: https://meet.jit.si/TorScalingMeeting

Since most of us are on our way to Tor All Hands in a couple weeks,
let's use this Friday to discuss what we want to accomplish there, and
at PETS afterwords.

Right now, there are two proposed Tor sessions related to Tor
performance and scaling:

- Network Health (Georg/Roger)
- Growing the Tor Network (Me)

I am considering shifting my session away from relay community
management, and towards the metrics and network R&D tasks. In
particular, we will need to confirm the new performance metrics, add new
onionperf instances, conduct tuning experiments, and perform historical
data extraction and analysis.

I am still debating if we should add a third session specifically for
the relay community piece, and how/where to discuss the LTS expense issue.

I also want to have some hack/tech sessions on how to set up Onionperf
and Shadow, and work with metrics data, so that we can spread that
knowledge around.

So, back to Friday, let's use this agenda:

 1. Straw poll who will be at Tor dev and PETS
 2. Identify meeting topics and who the key interested people are
 3. Figure out how much interest there is in hacking/tech sessions
 4. Address concerns of folks who won't be able to make it to Stockholm

Pad:
https://nc.riseup.net/s/AEnQ4CRH2kH3fLe

Experiments:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/roadmaps/CoreTor/PerformanceExperiments