[tor-scaling] High level scaling goals (and metrics categories)

teor teor at riseup.net
Sun Jun 9 02:32:01 UTC 2019

On 9 Jun 2019, at 09:30, Mike Perry <mikeperry at torproject.org> wrote:

>> ==== Network capacity
>>     (or, how many more clients can this network fit?)
>>
>>     Metrics: Per-Flag Spare Network Capacity, Per-Relay Spare Network Capacity
>
> Yep.
>
> Aside: A related "capacity balance" (or "throughput variance") metric is
> "Per-relay spare stream capacity". "Per-relay spare stream capacity" is
> what Torflow and sbws bandwidth authorities use as their load balancing
> target. We can derive the bwauth measurements of this value from the
> consensus, by dividing a relay's consensus "measured" value by its
> descriptor "observed bandwdith" value. We can also take it directly from
> sbws or torflow bandwidth files. A plot of these values will show us how
> individual relays vary in their ability to carry an additional stream.

How does torflow's scaling affect this calculation?
(sbws implements the same scaling algorithm as torflow.)

If we need the raw bandwidth values, sbws lists them as bw_mean and
bw_median:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/bandwidth-file-spec.txt#n757

I'm not sure if torflow's pid_bw is useful:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torflow.git/tree/NetworkScanners/BwAuthority/README.spec.txt#n447