[tor-scaling] Fwd: Measuring the Accuracy of Tor Relays' Advertised Bandwidths

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Tue Aug 13 22:33:00 UTC 2019

Rob just completed his 20 second "relay stress test" network experiment.
The TL;DR is that this experiment should change the load balancing
weights of relays, by way of boosting their "observed bandwidth" relay
descriptor fields to more realistic values. These fields are inputs to
the TorFlow/sbws load balancing system.

This experiment should have observable effects on load balancing, as
well as measurable effects on onionperf performance and user experience,
for the duration of time that the updated descriptor values are in use
by torflow and/or sbws.

Rob: it would be useful if you could describe the analysis you plan to
do on this data on this list, in particular: can you refer to the
performance metrics at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/roadmaps/CoreTor/PerformanceMetrics
and use those?

FYI: The kanban entry for this experiment has notes about using metrics
for "Capacity", "Load Balancing", and "Reliability". I see those as the
first-order effects of this experiment. We're also going to want to
compare the effects on the "Throughput" end-user metric, and maybe even
"Latency" too, so maybe the answer is just "All" at this point...

However, if any notable metrics are missing, or if any existing ones
need to be changed, we should discuss that and update that wiki page,
which is meant to be canonical for all performance and scalability
improvements going forward.

This is important because the sbws and the torflow load balancing
systems will also need to be compared in October/November, as we switch
to sbws (sbws still has critical  bugs that are being fixed now, hence
the delay). We may even want to run this "stress test" experiment again
then, since the sbws is not ready for such a comparison at the moment
(though technically, we are already storing raw consensus votes with
sbws values in the metrics archive already).

Furthermore, I want to remind everyone that we have established a set of
controls and processes for doing performance experiments on the live
network at
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/roadmaps/CoreTor/PerformanceExperiments.

Rob: you did a good job of following the general idea here with what you
sent to tor-relays (forwarded below), but that page also calls for doing
experiments like this on an on/off time schedule, so that we can compare
data from different time periods to control for/rule out unrelated
trends. It sounds like you may be planning to do this after you go over
your data and check for collect collection, etc, but I just wanted to
verify that, and see if we can align the timing of some of your future
tests with the sbws vs Torflow comparison, and get a two-for-one?

It is important that we all maintain institutional memory for stuff like
this. Technically, maintaining and enforcing this institutional memory
is my job, but I am currently full time on both wrapping up circuit
padding for Sponsor 2, and working on the Firefox ESR migration, so I
will be missing stuff like this routinely until October at the earliest.

This also means that we will not have any scalability meetings until
October. For now, let's say that we will meet again on Thursday Oct 31
at 16:00 UTC.

Until then, things will be smoother if we can all work together and use
this mailinglist to help each other self-organize, especially since I
will be mostly too busy to make sure I catch things like this in the
near-term future.