[tor-reports] December 2016 Report for the Tor Browser Team

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Tue Jan 10 11:24:00 UTC 2017

Hi all!

In December we made three releases, Tor Browser 6.0.8[1], 6.5a6[2], and
6.5a6-hardened[3].

Both the stable and the alpha releases updated our users to Firefox
45.6.0esr and the latest Tor versions (0.2.8.11 and 0.2.9.6-rc
respectively).

The alpha releases, moreover, provided for the first time the fruits of
our sandboxing efforts to OS X and Linux users[4][5]. Additionally, we
included the timezone spoofing in a direct Firefox patch[6] and started
experimenting with a slightly hardened memory allocator on Linux[7].

Besides working on releases we started rebasing our patches for Firefox
ESR 52[8], investigating upcoming build issues with a Tor Browser based
on ESR 52[9], and continued our work on making our build system more
robust and faster[10].

The full list of tickets closed by the Tor Browser team in December is
accessible using the TorBrowserTeam201612 tag in our bug tracker[11].

For January we plan to release the first stable Tor Browser in the 6.5
series and to continue our efforts to get everything ready for Tor
Browser based on ESR 52. Tickets on our radar for this month can be
seen with the TorBrowserTeam201701 tag in our bug tracker[12].

Georg

[1] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-608-released
[2] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-65a6-released
[3] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-65a6-hardened-released