[tor-reports] Tails report for January 2017

u u at 451f.org
Tue Feb 28 11:00:00 UTC 2017

Hi,

you can find the full monthly report for Tails for January 2017 here:
https://tails.boum.org/news/report_2017_01/

Releases
========

* Tails 2.10 was released on January 24th (minor release).
* Tails 2.11 is scheduled for March 7th.

The following changes were introduced in Tails 2.10:

* We installed OnionShare, a tool for anonymous file sharing.
* We enabled the circuit view in Tor Browser.
* Replace AdBlock Plus with uBlock Origin.
* Configure the APT package manage to use Debian's Onion services.
* Install the AMDGPU display driver. This should improve the support for
newer AMD graphics adapters.
* Renamed the Boot Loader Menu entries from "Live" to "Tails", and
replaced the confusing "failsafe" wording with "Troubleshooting Mode".
* Add support for exFAT.
* Remove Nyx (previously called arm).
* Rewrite Tor control port filter entirely. Now Tails can safely support
OnionShare, the circuit view of Tor Browser, and similar. This also
enabled Whonix to replace their own similar piece of software with this one.

Code
====

* We (almost) finished updating the AppArmor policy in Debian Stretch so
that it supports merged-/usr systems.
* We started evaluating USBGuard, and posted suggestions to improve its
user experience, that upstream warmly welcomes.
Documentation and website
* We documented how to use OnionShare, a tool for anonymous file sharing.
* We documented the circuit view in Tor Browser.

User experience
===============
* We've been working on improving the user experience of Tails Installer
* For the Tails 3.0 test images, in Tails Greeter we will drop the
read-only persistence option. We don't know yet if we will be able to
re-add this option to Tails 3.0 once we release it, but we are working
on it.

Infrastructure
==============

* We started to set up a XMPP server to satisfy the need for private
communication tools expressed by one of our teams.
* We enabled an Onion service for our APT repository (#11556).
* We improved our systems so that they send less useless email to our
system administrators.
* We started updating our Puppet modules to better support Debian Stretch.

Funding
=======
* LinuxFr: Tails, nous avons besoin de vos dons was published as a
follow-up on our call for donations.
* We received feedback from OTF about our concept note, and started
working on our answer.

Outreach
========

Upcoming events
---------------
* We have a booth at FOSDEM in Brussels.
* Tails will be presented at a cryptoparty on March 4th 2017 in Rennes,
France.
* We started organizing a Debian event that will take place in Paris on
May 13-14. Stay tuned!

On-going discussions
====================
* We've been discussing how to improve our memory erasure process.
* We've announced that Tails 3.0 will require a 64-bit processor.

Translation
===========
All the website
---------------
de: 54% (3050) strings translated, 5% strings fuzzy, 49% words translated
fa: 40% (2265) strings translated, 8% strings fuzzy, 45% words translated
fr: 81% (4562) strings translated, 1% strings fuzzy, 80% words translated
it: 28% (1602) strings translated, 3% strings fuzzy, 26% words translated
pt: 27% (1551) strings translated, 8% strings fuzzy, 25% words translated
Total original words: 57564

Core pages of the website
-------------------------
de: 82% (1539) strings translated, 10% strings fuzzy, 83% words translated
fa: 38% (710) strings translated, 10% strings fuzzy, 40% words translated
fr: 98% (1842) strings translated, 1% strings fuzzy, 99% words translated
it: 80% (1490) strings translated, 10% strings fuzzy, 79% words translated
pt: 49% (924) strings translated, 13% strings fuzzy, 50% words translated

Metrics
=======

Tails has been started more than 662 874 times this month. This makes 21
383 boots a day on average.
14 782 downloads of the OpenPGP signature of Tails ISO from our website.
142 bug reports were received through WhisperBack.