[tor-reports] SponsorR August 2016 report

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Wed Sep 7 11:22:40 UTC 2016

Hello,

here is the August 2016 report for SponsorR:

- More progress was done on implementing prop224.

  A branch with useful crypto functions for prop224 was merged on upstream tor:

  Also, the branch for prop224 HSDir support is now on needs_review:
  This branch is a big part of prop224 implementation and includes various
  refactoring of the current code as well (#19024).

- The branch for Single Onion Services is also moving forward to getting
  mrgerd. It has already passed the first rounds of review:
    https://gitlab.com/teor/tor/merge_requests/8

- Discussion continued on alternative naming systems for Tor:
    https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-August/011251.html
    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/OnionServiceNamingSystems

  Also, we wrote a document on how to integrate an external name resolvers in Tor:
    https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-August/011253.html

- We also discussed various techniques on shortening prop224 addresses, like
  introducing zero bits on the addreses:
    https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-August/011252.html

- Tor is now providing onion services for all its infrastructure:
    https://blog.torproject.org/blog/debian-and-tor-services-available-onion-services
  The same stands for Debian!