[tor-reports] Damian's Status Report - April 2016

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Sat May 7 20:27:49 UTC 2016

Hi all, health issues nailed me for much of April but ick aside
here's what I was up to last month.

Google Summer of Code

GSoC planning is done and we're delighted to announce seven great
projects for the summer!

  https://blog.torproject.org/blog/gsoc-2016-projects

In particular I'll be mentoring Sambuddha who's making several
Nyx additions that'll make our upcoming release even better!

Nyx Curses Testing

User interfaces are tough to test. This goes for websites, GUIs,
as well as terminal UIs. Often there's libraries for doing so but
honestly they're never exactly what I'd call 'elegant'.

As the rarest of the three terminal UIs are particularly
under-served when it comes to testing, which has left Nyx
a black hole when it comes to code coverage. But that all
changed this month when I had a bit of an eurika moment.

  https://gitweb.torproject.org/nyx.git/commit/?id=e9576a7

So... we can now test Nyx's UI! This month I added test coverage
for our popups and header panel, with ongoing work for the rest of
the interface. This is slow going and will no doubt gobble my May
but I'm really delighted with the direction it's going.

Few other noteworthy things...

  * Replaced tor-assistants@ with a new list to cut down on
    spam we all need to deal with.

  * Been working on a new website for Nyx during my commutes.
    Still a ways off but coming together bit by bit.

Cheers! -Damian