[tor-reports] April 2016 Report for the Tor Browser Team

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Wed May 4 11:15:21 UTC 2016

Hello,

In April we made 3 releases: 5.5.5[1], 6.0a5[2] and 6.0a5-hardened[3].

Tor Browser 5.5.5 fixed the usual amount of security issues Mozilla
closed with its release of a new Firefox ESR (38.8.0) and came with some
smaller improvements: we added a new obfs4 bridge[4] and stopped
advertising our help desk (we are currently restructuring our support
work)[5].

Both Tor Browser alpha versions on the other hand contain a number of
new features. Most notably, we switched to ESR45 as our underlying
Firefox version after we rebased all our patches and wrote new ones for
the most critical new features[6]. Second, a new alpha version of Tor,
0.2.8.2-alpha, is included to give it more testing exposure on its way
to our new stable Tor version. And, third, we finally shipped our OS X
bundles code-signed to provide a better experience for our Mac users.

Apart from getting those releases out, we worked mainly on Firefox ESR
45 related tasks which is clearly visible in the full list of tickets
closed by us in April. This list is accessible using the
TorBrowserTeam201604 tag in our bug tracker[7].

For May we plan to get a new stable version out at the end of the month.
Getting Tor Browser 6.0 into shape will therefore be the main focus in
the coming weeks.

The full list of tickets the Tor Browser team plans to work on in May
can be seen with the TorBrowserTeam201605 tag on our bug tracker[8].

Georg

[1] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-555-released
[2] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-60a5-released
[3] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-60a5-hardened-released