[tor-reports] February 2016 Report for the Tor Browser Team

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Thu Mar 3 14:34:17 UTC 2016

Hi,

In February we made 4 releases: 5.5.1[1] + 5.5.2[2], 6.0a2[3] and
6.0a2-hardened[4].

Tor Browser 5.5.1 was a fixup release addressing the most pressing
issues found in Tor Browser 5.5. They were caused by our font
fingerprinting defense[5] and a subtle issue in our new window.name
handling patch[6].

5.5.2, 6.0a2 and 6.0a2-hardened were devoted to following Mozilla's
38.6.1esr chemspill release closing bugs in the Graphite font rendering
library[7].

Apart from releasing new Tor Browser versions we worked on the OS X code
signing which is nearly ready to get tested in an alpha release[8].
Furthermore, we made sure our toolchains can compile Firefox based on
ESR 45[9] and are almost done with rebasing our Firefox patches for
Mozilla's upcoming new extended support release[10].

The full list of tickets closed by the Tor Browser team in February can
be seen using the TorBrowserTeam201602 tag on our bug tracker[11].

For March new releases are planned taking up the changes coming with
Firefox 38.7.0esr. Then our main focus will switch to audit Firefox 45
ESR for new privacy issues and possible proxy bypasses, and getting our
code in shape for a first alpha release based on ESR 45.

The full list of tickets the Tor Browser team plans to work on in March
can be seen with the TorBrowserTeam201603 tag on our bug tracker[12].

Georg

[1] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-551-released
[2] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-552-released
[3] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-60a2-released