[tor-reports] SponsorR May 2016 report

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Tue Jun 7 15:41:20 UTC 2016

Hello,

here is the May 2016 report for SponsorR:

- We organized a small focused hidden service hackfest in Montreal. We
  feverishly worked on all things hidden services, and we wrote a blog
  summarizing our activities:
  https://blog.torproject.org/blog/mission-montreal-building-next-generation-onion-services
  Enjoy!

- Did tons of testing and bug fixes on our shared randomness system (prop250).
  Our implementration has already been reviewed a few times, and it's now
  revised and back in needs_review. Exciting stuff!

- Did lots of design work for prop224. See relevant threads and commits in
  torspec.git: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-May/010913.html

- Discussed our renaming strategy with "onion services" vs "hidden services":
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-project/2016-May/000304.html

- Discussed onioncat operation after prop224 gets implemented. It would be nice
  to keep on supporting onioncat. It can enable various fun use cases for hidden
  services: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-May/010970.html

- Continued mentoring our hidden service GSoC students:
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-April/010832.html
  https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-April/010822.html

- Defended the network against malicious HSDirs/Relays (the usual monthly
  battle...)