[tor-reports] OONI team status update for June 2016

Arturo Filastò art at torproject.org
Tue Jul 5 18:06:53 UTC 2016

# OONI June 2016 Monthly Report

OONI had a good June, making a bunch of progress in preparing the code base for upcoming changes,
making downstream impact, and nailing down logistics.

A few highlights we're proud of this month:

  * ooniprobe can now communicate to backends (collectors, bouncers and web-connectivity test helpers) via cloud-fronting and https, rather than via tor, as part of the effort to support a more stealthy measurement.

  * Documentation for working with partners is drafted, and going through legal approval.

  * Progress is being made towards making measurement-kit scriptable and adding the possibility to call it from python code. This is being done with the intention of eventually having a single set of tests that can run on both mobile and desktop.

  * Handled the interview process for bringing on a core developer.

  * OONI packaging for debian and ubuntu has been brought up to date, making installation on desktops easier.

The additional concrete deliverable progress we've made:

  * The Web Connectivity test is now in Measurement Kit
https://github.com/measurement-kit/measurement-kit/pull/690

  * ooniprobe 1.6 with cloud-fronted bouncer is ready.
  https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-probe/pull/562

  * URL test lists have been updated for the following countries:

    1. India: https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/57
    2. Kenya: https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/56/commits/506c7a3e566c6081a78dbf3f7345c6f666f901e0
    3. Nigeria: https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/56/commits/a94ddf4c37b61ec6e76c376899d48a7c8aabc610
    4. Brazil: https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/52 (NEW TEST LIST)
    5. Malaysia: https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/54
    6. Zambia: https://github.com/citizenlab/test-lists/pull/53

## Publications

  * Publication of blog about the new Web Connectivity test: https://ooni.torproject.org/post/web-connectivity/

  * New ooniprobe installation guide: https://ooni.torproject.org/install/ooniprobe/

  * Documentation on how to contribute to test lists: https://ooni.torproject.org/get-involved/contribute-test-lists/

  * Documentation about OONI's Partnership Program: https://ooni.torproject.org/get-involved/partnership-program/

  * Documentation about risks associated with the use of ooniprobe: https://ooni.torproject.org/about/risks/

## Events

We did a OONI workshop for journalists in Kiev, Ukraine, at the Visual Culture Research Center (http://vcrc.org.ua/en/) on the 23rd June 2016.

We're looking forward to meeting up in person next week at the citizen lab summer institute, and are excited to seem any OTF affiliated groups there!

~ The OONI team