[tor-reports] June 2016 Report for the Tor Browser Team

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Mon Jul 4 10:41:00 UTC 2016

Hello,

In June the Tor Browser team made four releases: Tor Browser 6.0.1[1],
6.0.2[2], 6.5a1[3] and 6.5a1-hardened[4].

Tor Browser 6.0.1 was the second release in the 6.x stable series
catching up with the Firefox ESR train by bumping the underlying Firefox
version to 45.2.0esr. Additionally, we included some minor fixups,
mainly stability related[5][6].

Unfortunately, the switch to Firefox 45.2.0esr unearthed crashes due to
our deterministic build setup and a mitigation for a compiler bug which
Mozilla shipped in this Firefox point release[7]. We worked around it
with the release of 6.0.2 which additionally provides fixes to some
usability issues we found after the transition to ESR45.

With Tor Browser 6.5a1 and 6.5a1-hardened the alpha series finally
caught up with the changes we shipped in Tor Browser 6.0 and 6.0.1.
Additionally, both releases ship tor 0.2.8.3-rc and two backported
Firefox features[8][9] for testing and potential inclusion into the next
stable series.

Besides focusing on getting the releases out we worked further on our
SponsorU tasks. The full list of tickets closed by the Tor Browser team
in June is accessible using the TorBrowserTeam201606 tag in our bug
tracker[10].

For July, no releases are planned and the full list of tickets on our
radar for this month can be seen with the TorBrowserTeam201607 tag in
our bug tracker[11].

Georg

[1] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-601-released
[2] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-602-released