[tor-reports] SponsorR June 2016 report

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Sun Jul 3 13:51:38 UTC 2016

Hello,

here is the June 2016 report for SponsorR:

- Continued reviewing, testing and fixing bugs on the shared randomness
  subsystem (prop250). Our branch has been updated and is ready for merge (#16943).

  We also wrote a patch for updating dir-spec.txt with the changes that are
  going to be induced by prop250 to consensuses and votes (#17435).

- Development continued on prop224 (next gen hidden services).

  We continued developing HSDir support for prop224. Our branch for encoding
  and decoding hidden service descriptors is currently under review:

  We also worked on refactoring the current hidden service data structures so
  that they can also support prop224 hidden services without having to rewrite
  the whole hidden service codebase (#19024).

- Revisited the overlap descriptor logic of prop224 and specified improvements
  to the system:
    https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-June/011059.html

- Investigated various issues with the hidden service protocol when used by
  unreliable devices like mobile phones on 3G. Ideally, hidden services should
  be able to support those kind of devices as well, without any reachability
  issues:

  Through this discussion we also found a bug in the intro point retry logic
  for hidden services:

- Onionboat is a project for easily hosting hidden services using Docker:
    https://nonconformity.net/2016/06/10/onionboat-using-docker-for-easy-tor-hidden-services/
    https://github.com/jheretic/onionboat

- Discussed the possibility of combining Tor hidden services with freenet:
    https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-June/011108.html