[tor-reports] Core Tor January 2016 report

Isabela isabela at riseup.net
Wed Feb 10 01:57:15 UTC 2016

Core Tor January 2016 report

Our biggest achievement for January is continued improvements to our
testing implementation for our improved guard node selection process.

This has exposed lots of new areas for research, and showed that some of
our original assumptions about what would be important are less
important than we thought.  We're revising this as we continue, and
looking for more .

We finished and deployed the fallback directories subsystem, to reduce
default load on directory authorities and make it so clients no longer
need to know authority IPs.  It's on by default in 0.2.8.1-alpha.
Eventually, this will let us hide authorities better in order to make
them more DoS resistant, as per proposal 257.

Work on our Ed25519 implementation has continued, though the
protocol-side improvements are not yet merged.  We hope to land those in
0.2.8, or early in 0.2.9 at the latest.

We've been taking a slow spell in writing documentation, but expect to
write more as we onboard some student developers over the next several
months, based on their questions.

You can see the full list of tickets worked in December here:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=closed&keywords=~TorCoreTeam201601

--
PM at TorProject.org
gpg fingerprint = 8F2A F9B6 D4A1 4D03 FDF1  B298 3224 4994 1506 4C7B