[tor-reports] core tor report for july 2016

Isabela isabela at riseup.net
Wed Aug 24 13:36:15 UTC 2016

Core Tor July 2016 Report

Early July we launched Tor 0.2.8.5-rc[1], the second release candidate
in the Tor 0.2.8 series, this release we removed Urras from directory
authority list and fixed bugs related to the release.

Anti-DDoS efforts:
        * We identified the issue #8625 that could be exploited to
amplify client misbehavior into a DDoS attack[2] and fixed it.
        * Removed duplicated logs[3] created when user switches between
two different ed25519 keys with the same rsa key. This can exhaust
dirauth disk space, which could be explored by a DDoS attack.

Documentation efforts:
        * Completed 90% of all tor-guts documentation[4], just need to
finish one last piece[5]. This was a big effort during July.

SGuards implementation:
        * With the help of several meetings and numerous protocol
designers, we continued making extensive revisions to proposal #259 [6],
which is a dependency for our new guard algorithm that we are implementing.

[1] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-0285-rc-released
[2] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/8625
[3] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/18320
[4] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/17294
[5] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/19297
[6] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/19468

--
PM at TorProject.org
gpg fingerprint = 8F2A F9B6 D4A1 4D03 FDF1  B298 3224 4994 1506 4C7B