[tor-reports] my report for July 26 to August 18th inclusive

dawuud dawuud at riseup.net
Thu Aug 18 08:57:42 UTC 2016

Dear tor-reports mailing list,

Surely I must have done more Tor related stuff than is in this
report... but this at least gives you an idea about some of my Tor
related projects and how they are progressing at the moment.

Subgraph OS Tor integration
---------------------------

worked a bit on roflcoptor - Tor Control Port Filter and State Tracker
Daemon

- Reviewed and merged Subgraph developer David Ahmad's regex filter
feature addition: https://github.com/subgraph/roflcoptor/pull/36

oniongateway
------------

Donncha wrote a design doc for oniongateway a tor2web replacement that
transparently proxies TLS from a entry proxy to the hidden service.

https://github.com/DonnchaC/oniongateway/blob/master/docs/design.rst

- code reviewed the initial implementation of entry_proxy by https://github.com/starius
- submitted code improvements and increased unit test coverage
https://github.com/DonnchaC/oniongateway
https://github.com/DonnchaC/oniongateway/tree/master/entry_proxy

tor bwscanner
-------------

- looked at donncha's recent cli changes

- the repo contains tools that aren't directly related to bandwidth
  measurements... like our ipython + twisted + txtorcon interactive
  shell... but it looks like the repo contains a broken version; maybe
  it bitrot? and in the short time I reviewed things I didn't get it
  working.

- I talked with Daira Hopwood and described the bug in the lazy
  partitioned circuit permutation generator; described here:

https://github.com/TheTorProject/bwscanner/issues/23

She suggested we implement a new/better algorithm as described in this
paper:

https://eprint.iacr.org/2012/254.pdf

She then quickly wrote this:
https://gist.github.com/daira/4c486d0d443a6901a8c1d62d8c1e5123

IPFS Tor integration
--------------------

added IPFS onion multiaddr to string conversion:
https://github.com/jbenet/go-multiaddr/pull/29

when i asked for guidance writing a tor onion transport for IPFS on
their irc channel #ipfs, whyrusleeping graciously wrote this document
explaining how to add a transport module for IPFS:
https://gist.github.com/whyrusleeping/3feb3102fcc3072b17a177853008c89b

inspired by his document i wrote this IPFS onion transport:
https://github.com/david415/ipfs-onion-transport/blob/master/onion_transport.go

we had some discussions about the rough draft onion transport i wrote
and how to fix it:

https://github.com/ipfs/go-libp2p/pull/79
https://github.com/jbenet/go-multiaddr/pull/21
https://github.com/david415/ipfs-onion-transport/issues/1