[tor-reports] May - June 2016 Report for Tor Bridge Distribution

isis isis at torproject.org
Thu Aug 4 21:56:48 UTC 2016

Hello,

I'm very behind on reports, largely due to — for May and June — there was
almost nothing to report, and I'm rather ashamed to admit I worked on very
little:

 - Updated BridgeDB's CI infrastructure to run tests with the Debian Stretch
   versions of dependencies. [0]

 - Patched little-t tor to make it more clear to users when their bridge is
   down or has been blocked. [1]

 - Designed, drafted a proposal for, and discussed a hybrid post-quantum
   secure Tor handshake. [2]

 - Patched or reviewed various build system and unittest issues pertaining to
   tor's cryptography. [3][4][5]

I won't be billing for May or June.  The rest of this report seeks to explain
the reasons I didn't make any substantial progess on paid deliverables during
these two months.

In May, I went public about the FBI threatening to pick me up off the streets,
deny me access to a lawyer, and serve me a subpoena if I didn't comply with
meeting them in person (without my lawyer present).  For the remainder of the
month, I dealt with lawyers, journalists, and more phone calls than I've dealt
with than the rest of my life cumulatively.  (On the plus side, the press
appears to have caused the FBI to hopefully reconsider their actions, since
I've not heard from them since.)

At end of May and throughout June, I dealt with the cases of sexual assault
against me and other members of The Tor Project and internet freedom
community.  During that time, I faced an ongoing barrage of everything from
victim blaming and insults, to threats, ostracism, and blackmail.  (Along with
another dose of lawyers and journalists.)  I spent a lot of time trying to
defend the victims who still remain anonymous, to try to ensure they are
represented and treated fairly.

At the end of June, I took a vacation.  I earned my scuba diving license and
went swimming with sharks twenty meters underwater, which was surprisingly
relaxing compared to other things.

Thank you to all the people who sent me words of support during this time.
Your kindness has helped me immensely in dealing with these events.

[0]: https://bugs.torproject.org/18949
[1]: https://bugs.torproject.org/11966
[2]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-May/010882.html
[3]: https://bugs.torproject.org/19161