[tor-reports] George's status report: March 2016

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Mon Apr 11 13:29:13 UTC 2016

# Activities of March 2016

- Worked on revising proposal 224. Removed some remnants of legacy crypto
  (e.g. TAP), revised some sections, filled in some missing crypto details, and
  figured out remaining research problems. We coordinated by holding an IRC
  meeting and discussing technical matters on the mailing list:
   https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-March/010560.html
   https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-March/010534.html Also
  see: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-March/010561.html
  for the latest suggested spec changes that got merged upstream.

- We did further design work on the new guard algorithms (proposal 259). You
  can find the latest version here:
   https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2016-March/010625.html

  The current state of the discussion is about how to fit all the various
  configuration options of Tor (like ReachableAddresses, ClientsUseIPV6, etc.)
  into the guard selection algorithm in a clean manner.

- Revised my prop250 dir-spec branch (#17435). Seems like some more touches are
  needed.

- Submitted some libevent bugs found through our bug bounty program.

- Went through GSoC applications.

# Activities for April 2016

- More spec work on proposal 224. Lots of things need revision and
  simplifications.  Next target is the time period functionality of
  HSDirs. After that we also need to think about the lifetimes of the various
  entities of the protocol.

- The STRIKE team implementation of prop259 will proceed during April, and I
  will need to review it and figure out the next steps.

- Some more dir-spec.txt work (#17435, #18756).

- Also expecting further review of prop250 during April.