[tor-reports] March 2016 Report for the Tor Browser Team

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Tue Apr 5 08:36:56 UTC 2016

Hi,

In March we made 6 releases: 5.5.3[1], 6.0a3[2], 6.0a3-hardened[3] and
5.5.4[4], 6.0a4[5], 6.0a4-hardened[6].

Tor Browser 5.5.3, 6.0a3 and 6.0a3-hardened were releases mainly
addressing various security issues Mozilla closed with Firefox ESR
38.7.0. Morevover, we included long-wanted fixes for bugs in our circuit
display[7] and resizing code run on start-up[8]. For the alphas we
switched Tor to 0.2.8.1-alpha to give it more testing on its way to
become the next stable version.

5.5.4, 6.0a4 and 6.0a4-hardened were devoted to following Mozilla's
38.7.1esr chemspill release avoiding bugs in the Graphite font rendering
library by disabling it[9].

Apart from releasing new Tor Browser versions we worked on the OS X code
signing and have landed all the patches and first nightly builds are
available with them now. Our main focus was on getting Tor Browser based
on Firefox ESR 45 in shape, though. We are done with rebasing our
patches[10], have improved our toolchains further[11] and started fixing
the most urgent issues[12] that came up after an ESR 45 feature review[13].

The full list of tickets closed by the Tor Browser team in March can
be seen using the TorBrowserTeam201603 tag on our bug tracker[14].

For April we plan to pick up Firefox ESR 38.8.0 for our stable series
and switch to ESR 45.1.0 in our alpha series. Both is due April 19.
Furthermore, we hope to get the OS X signing finally going and will
spend our main focus on stabilizing our ESR 45 based Tor Browser further.

The full list of tickets the Tor Browser team plans to work on in April
can be seen with the TorBrowserTeam201604 tag on our bug tracker[15].

Georg

[1] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-553-released
[2] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-60a3-released
[3] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-60a3-hardened-released
[4] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-554-released
[5] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-60a4-released
[6] https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-60a4-hardened-released
[7] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/16990
[8] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/16725
[9] https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/38.7.1/releasenotes/
[10] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/15197
[11] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/18331
[12]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~tbb-6.0a5&order=priority
[13] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/18545
[14]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=closed&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201603
[15]