[tor-reports] Pearl Crescent Report - March 2016

Mark Smith mcs at pearlcrescent.com
Mon Apr 4 19:24:34 UTC 2016

Work completed by the Pearl Crescent team during March 2016
(Kathy Brade and Mark Smith):

* Tor Browser and Torbutton:

We spent some time this month finishing up the patches needed for Mac OS
code signing (coming soon to a Tor Browser alpha release):
   "Tor Browser on OS X should not store data into the
    application bundle"

We also started on some ESR45 tasks:
   "Rebase Tor Browser patches to ESR 45"

   "Place Canvas MediaStream behind site permission"

   "Make sure OffScreenCanvas API does not render moot our canvas
    fingerprinting protection"

   "Make sure our SVG disabling patches work with SVG favicons"

We did some testing of the Tor Browser stable and alpha releases that
were made during March (5.5.3, 5.5.4, 6.0a3, 6.0a4).

We reviewed patches for tickets #16725, 18466, 18557, 18631, and 18632.

* Tor Browser Updater:

We rebased the updater patches for ESR45:
   "Rebase Tor Browser patches to ESR 45"
   https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/15197#comment:11

* Tor Launcher:

Not much activity this month. We spent some time working on the
following ticket but have not published a patch yet:
   "Tor Launcher only accepts HEXDIGIT passwords for controller"

We also made a Tor Browser packaging change to ensure that the language
prompt will not be shown in locale-specific packages:
   "modify Tor Browser packaging to avoid language prompt"

* Miscellaneous Activities:
    We participated in the weekly Tor Browser meetings, UX meetings,
    and app team meetings on IRC, and in various design discussions
    on IRC as well as on the mailing lists.

* Planned for April:
  - Help with any followup work for Mac OS code signing (see #13252).

  - Assist with backporting of patches to the Firefox ESR 45 codebase
    and with the other work related to ESR 45. See:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status!=closed&keywords=~ff45-esr&order=id

  - Assist with Tor Browser 5.5.x maintenance and 6.x alpha releases.

* As Time Permits:
  - Develop a fix for #18292 (staged updates fail on Windows).

  - Work with UX researchers to ensure that their Tor Launcher
    research is productive. See the discussions on the UX
    mailing list or visit:
    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorLauncherUX2016

  - Work on other Tor Browser, Tor Launcher, and Torbutton usability
    issues.

--
Mark Smith
Pearl Crescent, LLC