[tor-reports] SponsorR September 2015 report
desnacked at riseup.net
Sat Oct 10 14:44:05 UTC 2015
here is the September 2015 report for SponsorR:
- We attended the Tor development meeting in Berlin!
We spent plenty of time roadmapping the following months:
And discussed various aspects of guard security:
- We started compiling a list of suggestions and guidelines for
conducting ethical research on Tor. In the future, this will turn
into a document to help researchers evaluate the safety of their
proposed research plan, especially when it deals with real users on
the Tor network:
Some subsequent discussion can be found here:
- We addressed an information leak that allowed attackers to enumerate
hidden service addresses using the Referer field of HTTP (#9623).
- We improved our techniques for the detection of malicious HSDir
nodes and caught a few more enumerators.
- Finally published the first version of the Single Onion Services proposal:
This new system allows a whole new class of use cases, and provides
greater performance and versatility than the previous proposed
- Continued design on the shared randomness proposal (prop250):
and also started with implementation:
This proposal will help us in the arms race against attackers crawling
- We also created trac tickets for the various tasks that need to be
done to implement Next Generation Hidden Services:
- Donncha suggested an improvement for Tor2Web mode which will allow
it to serve end-to-end encrypted traffic to clients:
- Tom suggested a scalability improvement for busy hidden services,
which allows them to have one host handling introduction requests
and a different host for actually doing the rendezvous.
More information about the tor-reports