[tor-reports] Damian's Status Report - September 2015

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Wed Oct 7 14:50:23 UTC 2015

Damn this was a productive month! Berlin and a mad scramble at work [1]
were highlights. But those aside, I'm delighted to say my three month
slog to rewrite Nyx's connection panel is now done!

  https://gitweb.torproject.org/nyx.git/commit/?id=97f1f94

In the end I rewrote 2,700 lines of 'oh god, what is this?' into a
simple 700 line module. As mentioned earlier this was the most sizable
task left and, though there's certainly a lot more work to, it's all
downhill from here.

Few other quick tasks of note...

* Thanks to dev meeting discussions with David, DocTor now checks for
  rapidly changing fingerprints. These often indicate malicious intent
  toward hidden services. [2]

* Code reviewed some of Karsten's metrics-lib work (#17000). He and I will
  soon work together on a comparison of our various parsing libraries. [3]

* Few small Stem fixes including 'use_mirrors = True' under python3 (#17083)
  and reading files with Windows newlines from Tor's data directory (#17051).

Cheers! -Damian

[1] https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2015/10/aws-codecommit-introduces-code-browsing-through-the-console/
[2] https://gitweb.torproject.org/doctor.git/tree/fingerprint_change_checker.py
[3] https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2015-October/009606.html