[tor-reports] OONI team status report for April 2015

Arturo Filastò art at torproject.org
Fri May 22 15:39:59 UTC 2015

# What we did in April 2015

A lot of the work done in April was related to a funny problem we encountered. Basically the machine previously used for the OONI data pipeline had run out of disk storage (1TB) and the daily batch processing task was requiring more than 6 hours to run. During this time the database and other important services on the data pipeline were not responsive, so we concluded that we had to start looking into a way to start scaling our infrastructure “horizontally”.
Although the amount of data that we are currently ingesting (on average 1-2 GB per day) does not necessarily require a big data like solution, we expect this value to increase at least by 1 or 2 orders of magnitude (20-200 GB per day). Given the fact that we had just recently had to move to another more powerful machine, we concluded it was ideal to try and tackle this problem looking at the future.
On this matter we:

* Experimented with various big data solutions and implemented some patches for the existing tools:
https://github.com/mumrah/kafka-python/pull/376
https://github.com/spotify/luigi/pull/910
https://github.com/Parsely/streamparse/pull/142

* We got in contact with various different vendors of big data cloud and bare metal solutions in order to evaluate their offering and see if it would be possible to receive sponsorship from them.

* We started working on a hadoop based pipeline implementation:
https://github.com/hellais/ooni-pipeline-ng

Moreover:

* We worked on organising the OONI hackathon and concluded that it would be ideal to postpone it to the end of summer (probably around September).

* We finished implementing an alpha prototype of libight for iOS that allows the user to run 3 basic OONI tests:
https://github.com/TheTorProject/libight-ios

* Update the bouncer to point to another mlab-ns server

* Release ooniprobe 1.3.1 and include it inside of debian stretch

* Publish the new OONI website: https://ooni.torproject.org/

* We implemented OONI tests for some censorship circumvention tools and analysed how they work:

meek: https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-probe/pull/387
https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-spec/pull/38

lantern: https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-probe/pull/388
https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-spec/pull/40