[tor-reports] April 2015

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Sun May 3 15:34:59 UTC 2015

In April, I was in the Philippines, Germany and China.

Highlights:

Returned from the Philippines after RightsCon and extensive co-working
time with people from Access.

Attended a talk by Ross Anderson at a side channel attack conference in Berlin.

Traveled to China to work with Ai Wei Wei and Laura Poitras. Wei Wei
and I used our time to make some art as part of the artistic
collaboration with Seven On Seven.

Laura and I traveled to Hong Kong to open Citizenfour. We held a
series of Q&A sessions after the film screened. By chance, in Hong
Kong, Oliver Stone was filming at the Mira hotel where we were
staying. I spoke with some of the key people involved with Oliver
Stone's film about Edward Snowden. I encourage all of them to consider
the core issues of anonymity and how it relates to widespread
deployment of cryptography.

Worked extensively with Katie on press and outreach related topics.

Attended many meetings about Tor's structure and future.

Started a survey of possible tools for our internal communication needs.

Happy hacking,
Jake