[tor-reports] Tails report for January and February, 2015

Tails developers tails at boum.org
Tue Mar 10 15:51:06 UTC 2015

Welcome to the new Tails report!

This edition is more complete than last time. We have some good news to
share and you can also see that we did some good work. If you have
suggestions about what to include next time, please write to
<tails-project at boum.org> about it :)

Releases
========

* Tails 1.2.3 was released on January 15, 2015. (minor release)
  https://tails.boum.org/news/version_1.2.3/
* Tails 1.3 was released on February 24, 2015. (major release)
  https://tails.boum.org/news/version_1.3/
* The next release (1.3.1) is planned for March 31.

Code
====

The complete list of improvements is in the release announcements. Some
major points are:

* Distribute a hybrid ISO image again: no need for anyone to manually
  run isohybrid anymore!
* Tails now ships the Electrum Bitcoin client.
* Support obfs4 Tor bridges.

Documentation and website
=========================

- We completely rewrote the documentation on virtualization. It now
  makes it clearer what is virtualization, what are the security
  implications and provides detailed instructions on how to setup Tails
  in VirtualBox, virt-manager, and GNOME Boxes, either straight from
  ISO, from a physical USB stick, or from a virtual USB stick.

  https://tails.boum.org/doc/advanced_topics/virtualization/

- We explained the risks of accessing internal hard disks from Tails.

https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/your_data_wont_be_saved_unless_explicitly_asked/

- ... and plenty of small improvements everywhere :)

User experience
===============

* We discussed a solution for a screen locker that could be reused by
  other live distributions.

  https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/screen_locker/

* We reviewed the latest mockups of the new Tails Greeter with
  usability experts.

  https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/greeter_revamp_UI/
  https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8235#note-11

* We analyzed in depth the process for new users to get started with
  Tails and made plans to adjust the relevant tools (Tails Installer,
  browser extension, Tails Upgrader, and web assistant.

  https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/bootstrapping/

Infrastructure
==============

* Our test suite covers 172 scenarios, 85 (!) more than in July 2014.
That's a huge improvement because each release can be automatically
tested to avoid regressions instead of having to manually perform the
same tests each time. There is still some way to go, but someday
releasing will be fast, safe, and easy :)

* Tails ships a new certificate in 1.2.3, and a new signing key in 1.3.

* We rewrote the history of our main Git repository to make it four
  times smaller. This should make the new contributors' experience much
  nicer.

* We upgraded the hardware of our main server so that it can handle the
  short and mid-term plans we have for it: automatically building ISO
  images from all active branches, and then running our automated test
  suite on these ISO images.

  https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/6196
  https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5288

Funding
=======

* Laura Poitras and Edward Snowden won Ridenhour's film award for
  Citizenfour and offered the $10K prize to Tails - thanks, Laura and
  Edward! (and congratulations for the Oscar)

http://www.nationinstitute.org/blog/prizes/4376/%22citizenfour%22_will_receive_the_ridenhour_documentary_film_prize/

* The Freedom Of The Press Foundation continues their crowdfunding
  campaign for Tails (and other great projects!). Of course, there are
  many other ways to donate if you want to help :)

  https://freedom.press//bundle/encryption-tools-journalists

Outreach
========

* We passed a call for help on the Windows camouflage in Tails Jessie!

* Tails now has a code of conduct!

* Two of us attended FOSDEM in Brussels, saw some interesting talks and
  the Belgian beer was good.

* One of us gave a talk at the Sapienza University of Rome, Italy.
  Thanks a lot to the local organizers!

https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/promote/material/slides/Roma-Uni_Sapienza-20150127/Tails.shtml

On-going discussions
====================

* We did not reach an agreement yet removing Adblock Plus (to have a
  fingerprint closer to the Tor Browser Bundle's one) or keeping it
  (because it's more comfortable for users).

* People try to come up with the best ideas for Tor Monitor, a
  replacement for Vidalia in Tails Jessie.

  http://git.tails.boum.org/alan/tor-monitor

https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2015-February/thread.html#8038.

* What kind of verification mechanism shall we do in the future ISO
  verification extension.

  https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/bootstrapping/extension/
  https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2015-February/008059.html

Press & Testimonials
====================

* Four major French-speaking medias (Le Monde, La Libre Belgique, Le
  Soir de Bruxelles and RTBF - radio-télévision belge) have launched
  Source Sûre, a whistleblowing platform, in French, that uses Tails.

  https://sourcesure.eu/

* Many people seemed excited to hear about the Bitcoin wallet in Tails
  and wrote about it. Welcome, Bitcoin community :)

Translation and internationalization
====================================

* Some new translators joined the German translation team within the
  last months. It's now the biggest translation team and they're
  seriously working to have all the core pages of the website
  translated. Nearly halfway there, keep up :)

* The French translation team manages to keep the core pages
  up-to-date, but the rest of the web site could use more attention.

* The Portuguese translation team has not been very active lately, so
  the Portuguese translations slowly becomes obsolete.

* The Spanish and Italian translation teams are still at the organizing
  stages so their translations have not started yet.

* For all those languages (and other ones!), new translators are really
  welcome!

All website PO files
--------------------

  - de: 16% (979) strings translated, 0% strings fuzzy
  - fr: 50% (3,004) strings translated, 1% strings fuzzy
  - pt: 32% (1,947) strings translated, 2% strings fuzzy

Core PO files
-------------

  - de: 44% (571) strings translated, 0% strings fuzzy
  - fr: 96% (1,223) strings translated, 1% strings fuzzy
  - pt: 92% (1,173) strings translated, 4% strings fuzzy

Metrics
=======

In January:

* Tails has been started more than 356,292 times in January.
  This makes 11,493 boots a day on average.
* 27,617 downloads of the OpenPGP signature of Tails ISO.
* 108 bug reports were received through WhisperBack.

In February:

* Tails has been started more than 344,664 times in February.
  This makes 12,309 boots a day on average.
* 25,530 downloads of the OpenPGP signature of Tails ISO.
* 89 bug reports were received through WhisperBack.