[tor-reports] OONI team status report for May 2015

Arturo Filastò art at torproject.org
Tue Jun 9 14:25:24 UTC 2015

# What we did in May 2015

* Attended an event at Stony Brook about network measurement and met up with various internet censorship researchers

* Worked on GUI for network measurement instruments called NetworkMeter: https://github.com/TheTorProject/network-meter

* Produce some statistics on current OONI user base. The jist of it is that we estimate to have at least 221 users (these are the unique ASNs we count in the reports, so it could as well be more).
In recent times (the last couple of months) we have reports coming in from at least 10 different users on a weekly basis. Given the fact that since 2 months some of our personal probing machines have gone offline this is even more surprising.

* We automatized the building of libight libraries in the Xcode app

* The first iteration of the new data pipeline was almost completed and web based API interface started to be developed.
Here is a chart of the architecture of it so far:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TheTorProject/ooni-pipeline-ng/master/docs/ooni-pipeline-ng-architecture.png

code for the pipeline can be found here:
https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-pipeline-ng

code for the API (and Javascript frontend) can be found here:
https://github.com/TheTorProject/ooni-api

* The ubuntu ooniprobe package has been updated to the latest version (1.3.1).

* We applied for a AWS grant to have some free amazon credits to pay for our infrastructure costs (the last 2 bills I got were in the 100s of $ range: 130 USD, 89 USD and 200 USD for April, May and June respectively).

* Progress was made on the raspberry-pi image for ooniprobe.

* Planning of hadoop cluster deployment.

* Installation/configuration of the management server for hadoop (7U kotetsi)

* We held 2 weekly meetings (2 were skipped this month due to travel):
http://meetbot.debian.net/ooni/2015/ooni.2015-05-11-16.59.html
http://meetbot.debian.net/ooni/2015/ooni.2015-05-18-17.00.html

~ Arturo