[tor-reports] Philipp's January 2015

Philipp Winter phw at torproject.org
Wed Jan 28 16:14:36 UTC 2015

- I improved a volunteer's existing exitmap module [0] to detect relays
  which tamper with HTTP redirects.  We used this module to badexit a
  number of relays.

- I started working on a Go tool to find Sybils in the Tor network.  I
  started by reimplemented doctor's Sybil checker and ran it over the
  consensus archives provided by CollecTor [1].  The code is freely
  available [2].

- I helped a journalist understand Tor and censorship.  The article was
  published (in Swedish) in IDG [3].

- I did some data crunching to estimate how many relays and clients
  in the network still speak old link protocols [4].  There are some
  remaining open questions, e.g., why my two relays have very different
  statistics, but I won't have time to investigate in the near future.

- Thanks to Damian's suggestion, I implemented lazy parsing for
  zoossh [5].  It resulted in quite a speedup.

- I worked on a small usability fix for Atlas [6].

[0] <http://pastebin.com/Q7tjaNnN>
[1] <https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2015-January/008156.html>
[2] <https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/phw/sybilhunter.git/>
[3] <http://www.idg.se/2.1085/1.604395/sa-rundas-kinas-natcensur>