[tor-reports] George's status report: January 2015

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Wed Feb 4 11:33:19 UTC 2015

# Activities of January 2015

- Completed various deeds for SponsorR.

  Helped Karsten wrap up the tech report about the hidden service
  statistics measurements that we collected [0].

  Discussed some initial ideas of Aaron for measuring relay-sensitive
  hidden service statistics [1].

  Helped to roadmap and organize the upcoming months of SponsorR work.

- Did various little-t-tor activities.

  Prepared my guardfraction branch (#9321) for the final review. Let's
  see if it will get merged in 0.2.6.x. Also fixed the guardfraction
  python script according to issues raised during deployment with weasel.

  Opened and worked on a few HSDir-related bugs:
    #14149 Update spec with regards to 25-26 hours HSDir flag uptime that turned to 96 hours.
    #14150: Dirauths should expose the value of `MinUptimeHidServDirectoryV2` as a vote/consensus parameter
    #14202: Remove obsolete workaround from dirserv_thinks_router_is_hs_dir()

  Reviewed a few tickets:
    #7555: MapAddress from FQDN to .onion fails because resolve requests for hidden services are not allowed.
    #14195: Memory leak in addressmap_register_virtual_address
    #14193: set *expires_out correctly in addressmap_rewrite
    #13397: tor process cannot process SIGHUP when a relative path to a config file is given
    #12485: Reduce time to write guard-related changes to the state file

  And found a non-interesting memleak while doing so:
    #14259: memleak in connection_ap_handshake_rewrite_and_attach()

- Fixed a small error in the obfsproxy spec found by dcf:
    #14329 [Obfsproxy]: Typo (INIT_SEED) in obfs2-protocol-spec.txt

# Activities for February 2015

- Continue work on the SponsorR stuff. This will likely involve:
  * Write a blog post about our findings from analyzing the first statistics.
  * Think about additional stats that we could collect.
  * Do some work on HSDir security (#8244, #8243).
  * Read about stats aggregation schemes.
  * Think about opt-in hidden service publishing.

- Get the guardfraction script deployed on gabelmoo.

- Attend the dev meeting in Valencia.

[0]: https://research.torproject.org/techreports/extrapolating-hidserv-stats-2015-01-31.pdf

[1]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2015-January/008086.html