[tor-reports] Pearl Crescent Report – December 2015

Mark Smith mcs at pearlcrescent.com
Wed Dec 30 16:18:45 UTC 2015

Tor-related work completed by the Pearl Crescent team in December 2015
(Kathy Brade and Mark Smith):

* Tor Browser Updater:

Updater activity during December was minimal, but we did make
contributions to a few tickets:
   "Have a test to check that Tor Browser updater is working"

   "need to add aboutTBUpdate.dtd to Transifex"

   "Changelog after update is empty if JS is disabled" (unresolved)

We also reviewed recent updater changes made by Mozilla to ensure that
our updater will not be affected.

* Tor Browser and Torbutton:

We helped with the 5.0.5, 5.0.6, and 5.5a5 Tor Browser releases.

We started to look at changes to the on-disk layout of the Tor Browser
app on Mac OS to meet Apple's code signing requirements (work in progress):
   "Support OS X Gatekeeper"

   "Tor Browser on OS X should not store data into the
    application bundle"

We fixed some small but annoying Tor Browser issues:
   "8-month-old Tor Browser offers to 'Reset Tor Browser'"

   "console.error on new Tor Browser window"

We triaged various tickets.

We reviewed many patches created by other developers, including for
tickets #12516, 15564, 15578, 17009, 17108, 17565, 17661, 17759, 17747,
and 17792.

* Tor Launcher:

Inspired by the UX research that is being done at Berkeley, we worked on
a series of small changes to the initial setup wizard. Details may be
found in this ticket:
   "settings not saved after backing out of setup wizard"
Our proposed changes go well beyond the title of the ticket; comments
are encouraged.

* Miscellaneous Activities:
    We participated in the weekly Tor Browser and app team meetings
    on IRC, and in various design discussions on IRC as well as on
    the mailing lists.

* Planned for January:
  - Revise the on-disk layout of the Tor Browser app on Mac OS
    to meet Apple's code signing requirements (see #13252).

  - Assist with the Tor Browser 5.0.x maintenance releases as needed.

  - Help finish Tor Browser 5.5, including the hardened package.

  - Work with UX researchers to ensure that their Tor Launcher
    research is productive (see the discussions on the new UX
    mailing list).

  - Finish our simple but valuable improvements to the Tor Launcher
     initial configuration wizard.

  - Work on other Tor Browser, Tor Launcher, and Torbutton usability
    issues as time permits.

--
Mark Smith
Pearl Crescent, LLC